Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Convenient... Very convenient

I stumbled upon this news article in a local newspaper... it said people in Myanmar beat up a clergyman (a Buddhist clergy)... as a reaction to this the monks have "threatened" they will stop taking alms from them unless they apologise!!! (Apparently a good Buddhist must donate to the monks).
Now that's a threat.... Imagine talking to your boss...
Hi boss, I cant work on the project you are assigning me I dont like its name..
No subordinate, you have to work on this...
[Angry] Boss, if you make me work on this I will not take the 30% salary raise you are planning for me
[Sweaty and shivery] Subordinate please dont do that please no... ok ok i will change the name of the project!!!!

If life were that easy for all of us.... "threaten to stop taking alms" God I cant get over it!!! I dont mean to sound offensive or anything but havent these Monks heard of "Beggars cant be choosers" I am not saying they are beggars; they are not and i am not justifying beating up a clergyman... not saying it is allowed... it is as wrong as beating up any person on the street... in my opinion... all men (and women ;-) ) are equal... we just make a big deal of the so called "men of God" but had those monks really been that great wouldn't they have said something to the effect of "Lord forgive them they dont know what they are doing" rather than THREATEN the people and ask for an apology... why would it even matter to them... had they asked for better medical care for the beaten up monk it would have made more sense!!!

I cant get over "we will stop taking alms"... how very convenient a threat and those guys must be so sure of their alms not stopping!!!! Waao!! I am almost jealous of these guys... they have such a convenient life!!!
I know their lives might not be all fun.. but arent they supposed to be following that path because they really want to... and didnt Mark Twain say (in Tom whitewashes the fence - adventures of tom sawyer- one of my all time fav short stories) work is different from fun only because one is what you have to do and other is what you want to do that is why climbing Mt. Everest is fun but doing needle work is work....

4 comments:

z0DiaC said...

i wish a day comes when i rush to store to get a newspaper just to read .....beggars union has decided to stop taking alms and start working.......
what do you say......
what i hate about all this is.....when these people ask their children to beg.....ahhhh...feel so bad abt all this.....

Unknown said...

Yeah... I agree... It sure is sad...
Have you seen "Boot Polish" a hindi movie very old... the song "Nanhe Munhe bache teri muthi mein kya hai" is from this movie... its about this brother and sister (both small kids) who beg... but dont like begging and how they want to earn and not beg... interesting movie... and then you feel if you really want to make a difference you will have to educate the children...

ashoo_aks said...

No new ones! shouldn't have left the message here.. but JLT..

Anonymous said...

:) ... connections. thats what you really rock at.
J